We are in the UK and it’s actually sunny! So we took advantage and went strawberry picking last week, where, despite many, many strawberries ending up in the Toddler’s mouth we still had a glut that needed to be used up.
While at the farm shop over at Scaddows Farm I spied some beautiful home made meringue and local double cream. Fate. It would have been rude not to make Eton Mess from the beautiful local produce.
Punnet of strawberries
4 meringue nests, crushed
1 pot double cream, 284ml
1 tbsp caster sugar
How to do it
1. Wash and hull the strawberries
Try to stop the toddler eating them ALL as you need some for the Eton Mess
2. Take half the strawberries and blend until pureed
Show the Toddler the pureed strawberries and spend the next ten minutes explaining just where the strawberries have gone
3. Whip the cream with the sugar until soft peaks form
Toddler still loving the electric beater and asks to lick one. Allow as it means you can lick the other.
4. Fold the pureed strawberries into the cream
5. Chop the remain strawberries into pieces
Stop the toddler eating anymore
6. Take the meringue and place in a bag. Crush with your hands
The toddler will get a little over excited at bashing he will then take it upon himself to bash anything he sees.
Including your leg.
And his little brothers head. Sigh.
7. Fold meringue and strawberries into cream mix
8. Dollop (what a wonderful word) into chilled wine glasses and serve
As the toddler has overloaded on strawberries make him a toddler sized portion in a shot glass.
Delicious Eton MessFacebook, see you there!