#blogitforward – Spreading Some Extra Sparkle This December

sparkle

Christmas is over for another year and you can often feel a little bit flat, gifts opened, turkey eaten and time to head back to work.

Feeling a little bit flat I was delighted to be nominated by Amy of Mr and Mrs T Plus Three to help continue spreading a little Christmas glitter this December as part of the Wayfair “blog it forward” initiative. Bloggers have been invited to share their random acts of kindness, spreading festive cheer, and in turn Wayfair will donate Ā£50.00 to Habitat for Humanity.

#blogitforward

It is often the little things that help to brighten a day. The small acts of kindness that add the sparkle that can sometimes be found lacking in life. It’s good to remember that no act is too small, that even the smallest of acts can put a smile on someone’s face and spread some sparkle in the world.

This December, along with getting ready for Christmas, we have been remembering to be kind, to be thoughtful and to try and spread some sparkle for other people.

Baking Gingerbread

The Big One wanted to take a treat into nursery to share with his teachers and all his friends, so we got in the kitchen and baked up a storm creating delicious – nut free – gingerbread for an end of term feast.

gingerbread

Donating Baby Clothes

That’s it, Baby Boy is our last baby, so we have piles and piles of baby clothes. In the UK I would just donate them to a charity shop and not think twice. Out here the concept isn’t as easy as bag it up and donate. Instead I got in touch with Carry On 4 Babies an initiative which aims to get donations out to those in need, South Africa, Namibia, Jordan, Syria to name a few. Based in 13 countries across the world including the UK and UAE, their “Angels” collect donations and personally travel to distribute. In two years over 20,000 separate pieces have been taken to those in need by volunteers.

Phone Credit

There are those that work here in Dubai, leaving family back home, to give their loved ones a better life back home. They send nearly all of their wages back supporting children left behind, elderly parents, siblings. This Christmas we are buying some extra phone credit vouchers to give to those who have loved ones behind, to get in touch before 2015 draws to a close.

phone credit

Toy Donation

Two boys and another Christmas means a lot of toys. Too many really. This year we are getting the Big One to pick some toys to donate to other children who don’t have as much as my boys.

That is how I plan on ending my 2015, spreading a little extra sparkle and a little more cheer.

And I know I’m not leaving much time, and I know that for many it is a blogging break, but the theme is #blogitforward and so I’d like to invite the lovely Jenny from Monkey and Mouse and the equally lovely Prabs from Absolutely Prabulous to tell us about their random acts of kindness this December. And to blog it forward once again.

buzzoole code

You can follow our adventures from the sandpit (and beyond) over on Facebook, see you there!

32 Comments

1. December 27, 2015 / 1:38 pm

Aww, some very lovely acts of kindness Laura! We have been donating some if the boys old clothes too (although I’m still secretly hoping for baby number 3!!). Thank you for nominating me, I will get on it right away, it’s almost 2016 already. Happy New Year when it comes! šŸ™‚ xx

• December 29, 2015 / 1:07 pm

I’ve been banned from Baby #3! Loved your acts Jenny, it’s just such a lovely thing to write about, it gave me a lovely glow!xx

• December 29, 2015 / 1:06 pm

I always did in the UK, it’s been a more difficult process here as it’s not as simple as drop it off. This has at least made me get up and search it out!

2. December 29, 2015 / 12:38 am

What a fantastic idea! I love this. Sometimes the smallest acts of kindness make the deepest impact. I willbe following your example.

• December 29, 2015 / 1:05 pm

Thanks Tori – I must say I’ve been inspired by so many others wonderful ats. One of my favourite was Abys leaving a pound coin on the toy ride at the supermarket!

3. December 29, 2015 / 1:24 am

Lovely ideas, it makes such a difference to make a little act of kindness to people. Doesn’t take much does it.
    Stephanie recently posted…Coast 2 Coast WhiteleyMy Profile

• December 29, 2015 / 1:02 pm

Exactly this – it doesn’t take much at all! They can even be free, sometimes time is all that is needed.

4. December 29, 2015 / 4:28 am

Great post, I love your acts of kindness, particularly the phone credit one. I have lived away from my loved ones and there’s really nothing more lonely. A small act of kindness can mean so much to someone in that situation, it’s about more than the phone credit – it’s about the thought and taking the time to make someone smile and feel a bit less lonely.x
    Natalie Ray recently posted…Our Thursday photo #85My Profile

• December 29, 2015 / 1:01 pm

There is nothing worse than not having the money to phone home, especially on special occasions x

• December 29, 2015 / 1:00 pm

Thanks Kaz – I love the initiative from Wayfair and it really was a great reminder xx

5. December 29, 2015 / 3:08 pm

BlogItForward is such an amazing idea. I used to work for Habitat for Humanity in Ireland, and they do incredible work. Great post x

• January 3, 2016 / 3:10 pm

Oh that’s a lovely idea!

6. December 29, 2015 / 6:02 pm

Great post, such a lovely idea! I love the random acts of kindness, they make such a difference x
    Emma @sophieellaandme recently posted…Christmas 2015My Profile

• January 3, 2016 / 3:10 pm

Me too – I’ve seen so many great little ideas in these posts x

• January 3, 2016 / 3:09 pm

Thanks Amy – my favourite was giving out the phone credit. The smiles were amazing x

7. December 30, 2015 / 4:12 pm

What a brilliant idea and some lovely acts of kindness there. It’s little things like that that can make so much difference to others šŸ™‚
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…Looking back on 2015My Profile

• January 3, 2016 / 3:09 pm

You’re right Louise – when I was writing this it made me think of your lent challenge this year xx

8. December 30, 2015 / 6:26 pm

I’m loving all these blog it forward posts, what a good idea with the phone credit. x

9. December 31, 2015 / 1:21 am

What brilliant ideas and tasks that you’ve done. Small acts of kindness are amazing. I’ve got a few bags of clothes that I will be donating in the New Year.

Laura x
    Mummy Lala (Laura) recently posted…Our Miscarriage StoryMy Profile

• January 3, 2016 / 3:08 pm

Thanks Laura, its the things that are so easy to do that can mean so much to someone else x

10. January 2, 2016 / 5:52 pm

what a lovely idea! I’ve not heard of Carry on 4 babies before, will be donating there in future thank you x

• January 3, 2016 / 2:54 pm

They are fantastic – such an easy thing to donate to and such a difference that can be made x

11. January 3, 2016 / 12:30 am

I’ve been trying to donate more recently. We had a big clear out of Lambs toys before Christmas and donated loads of toys and clothes to our local Barnardos. It’s not much, but it may help someone xx
    Alex recently posted…My Top 5 Blog Posts of 2015 – PersonalMy Profile

• January 3, 2016 / 2:51 pm

Exactly this – a little thing will still brighten someone’s day and the world can do with some more sparkle! Xx

• January 3, 2016 / 2:49 pm

Thanks Jodie – it certainly is and it’s something I want to bring forward all through 2016.