Every family has those recipes that were passed down right? Iced Prawn Curry is mine from my mum.
It sounds a little strange but in essence its a cold, creamy, mayonnaise based mild prawn curry. And it is delicious!
Being at home I have access to the recipe book again. Being sensible I have taken a picture and decided to blog about it!
Iced Prawn Curry
400g freshwater prawns
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp Branston Pickle (or similar)
2 tsp mild curry powder
2 tbsp cream
3 tbsp of mayonnaise
Juice of 1/2 lemon
How to do it
1. Melt the butter and fry off the onion on a low heat for 5 minutes
2. Stir through the flour, salt, sugar, pickle, curry powder and tin of tomatoes. Bring to the boil.
3. Turn heat down and simmer for 30 minutes
4. Leave to cool completely and blitz with a handheld food processor until smooth.
5. Add the cream and lemon juice, stir.
6. Add half the mayonnaise and taste. If you want it creamier keep adding mayo. I personally like mine relatively mayo like so I add at least 3 tbsps.
7. Add the prawns, stir through and serve with crusty bread